Paving projects are usually a considerable investment for property owners. Therefore, it is essential to do your research and get all the facts before starting a project. One of the most critical parts of any paving project is site preparation. Preparing your site will ensure that this investment goes smoothly, so it’s worth taking time to learn about what goes into preparing for asphalt paving!
In today’s blog post, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about site preparation and why it’s an essential part of a successful asphalt paving project.
What is Site Preparation?
Site preparation is the process of removing all the organic material and rock from your property. This includes vegetation and asphalt that’s been paved over to create an even surface for paving.
Site Preparation Should Involve the Following Steps:
- Remove any rocks, debris, metal objects, roots, garbage, and other unwanted materials with heavy equipment like a front-end loader.
- Rake all the remaining debris and level out any depressions on your surface.
- Grade the land by placing soil or sand to fill in low areas, which will help with water runoff and provide a stable base for paving materials.
- You can also use asphalt emulsion to create an even grade for your asphalt paving project.
- Add a top layer of gravel, sand, or crushed stone to the surface and sweep it into depressions to level all areas.
Site Preparation Impacts:
- Site preparation sets you up for success with uniformity and performance by ensuring stability and proper drainage.
- It allows the base material to be uniformly spread, which prevents settling of one section over another – thus, providing a stable surface that will perform as desired throughout its service life.
- Site preparation ensures a better connection between the asphalt and base material, which will help with water runoff and provide a stable base for paving materials.
Top 6 Reasons You Should Prep Your Site:
A well-prepared surface offers many benefits during installation that may not be apparent until you’re ready to use it again in the future. Here are six reasons why every property owner should consider site preparation before beginning a paving project:
- It saves you money in both the short and long term due to the increased stability of your asphalt surface.
- Site prep ensures that all material will be properly connected, which reduces cracking over time and any settlement issues with pavement sections.
- Anticipating the amount of asphalt needed to cover a surface will reduce waste, which is environmentally and economically responsible.
- Preparing your site before paving allows for any additional work that may need to be done on sidewalks, curbs, or other features in order to get them ready for installation at the same time as the pavement.
- It helps the contractor provide a better estimate of time, cost, and materials by knowing what they will be working with.
- Site preparation ensures that all underground utilities are marked to prevent damage or disruption during paving.
If you’re looking for a paving company that will help with site preparation before starting an asphalt paving project in New Lenox, look no further. At C&J Construction, our professionals are ready to provide the best service and advice on how to get your property prepared so we can start our work quickly. Contact us today for a free quote!